Here are the 12 most agreed fun facts about Vancouver:
1. When we locals say “Vancouver”, we actually mean the city of Vancouver. When non locals say “Vancouver”, they usually talk about Greater Vancouver Area (GVA). So if you live in Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey, Langley, or even West Vancouver or North Vancouver, you can say you come from “Vancouver” , otherwise non locals wouldn’t get a picture of where you actually live.
2. Vancouver (to be precisely GVA) is Canada’s third largest metropolitan area (first is Toronto, second is Montreal), with a population of 2.3 million. But actually about 0.6 million people that live in the city of Vancouver.
3. Over 35% of Vancouver’s population is foreign born, the highest figure in the world. This makes the city technically even more multicultural than New York.
4. Vancouver is also one of Canada’s most diverse cities — 53% of residents do not speak English as their first language. [StatCan]
5. Vancouver has the highest proportion (per capita) of Asians of any North American city. No wonder it has one of the largest and oldest Chinatowns in North America.
6. Vancouverites dine out more than in any other North American city.
7. Vancouver is one of the warmest cities in Canada, with winters kept mild from being on the pacific coast. It gets snow about 11 days a year on average.
8. Vancouver is also known as the rainiest city in Canada, but do you know that actually Vancouver has a lower average rainfall than Boston, Massachusetts.
9. Vancouver is probably the only place in the world where it is possible to ski, play golf, and go sailing all in the same day.
10. Vancouver is sitting on one of the most dangerous geographic location; it is located on a major geological fault and can anytime be a victim of a strong earthquake that may measure 8.0 or more in Richter scale.
11. Stanley Park, Vancouver’s largest, is 1001 acres—making it 10% bigger than New York City’s Central Park.
12. Vancouver’s Kitsilano Beach was rated as one of North America’s Sexiest Beaches by Forbes.
Please comment to tell us more Vancouver fun facts.